In the City Camp's NEW Counselor-in-Training (CIT) leadership program gives rising 10th graders a unique summer experience combining camp fun, leadership training, and a taste of what it's like to be an In the City Camp counselor!
The benefits of working at camp are well documented. You can read more about the valuable life skills young people gain while working in a camp environment here, here, and here. In short, you'll be hard pressed to find an office internship that strengthens critical 21st-century skills like working at camp does. While CITs are not staff, they will flex communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and creativity muscles each and every day they spend at camp.
Our CIT program will give rising 10th graders a preview of the hard work and big rewards that go along with being a counselor at In the City Camp. Plus, successful participants will have a leg up when applying for a job at camp next year.
In the City Camp's Counselors in Training will:
- Help counselors lead Kid Camp (Kindergarten through 5th grade) bunk groups
- Engage with and serve as a positive Jewish role model to Kid campers
- Assist Kid campers during specialist-led activities like art, dance, and magic
- Attend and help out during Kid Camp field trips
- Help during camp-wide Shabbat programs
- Be paired with a staff mentor who will guide their transition from camper to future staff member
- Make new Jewish friends and enjoy camp activities like swimming, art, sports, and cooking with other CITs
- Receive valuable leadership training and insights during sessions with community leaders
- CITs will receive 10 community service hours for each week they participate in our program.
- CITs who attend for at least 4 weeks will receive a $50 stipend at the end of the summer.
- CITs who attend for 8 or 9 weeks will receive a $100 stipend at the end of the summer
- CITs who attend the program for at least 2 weeks will receive a $150 bonus in 2018 if/when they are hired as Junior Counselors.
Locations and Dates:
The CIT program will take place during the same weeks and locations as our Kid Camp program:
- Intown - Congregation Shearith Israel - June 5 - July 28
- Sandy Springs - Atlanta Jewish Academy - July 10 - August 4
Times: Monday -Friday, 9:00am-4:00pm
Ages: For rising 10th graders only
- The CIT program is limited to 5 participants per week.
- Registration and payment for the CIT program (including the remaining camp balance, before & after care, and bus transport, if applicable) must occur no later than April 30, 2017.
- As the first component of the leadership training experience, CITs will participate in a video interview following parent registration.